Discipline - Plastic Surgery, Reconstructive Microsurgery - Emergency Clinical Hospital Prof. Dr. Agrippa Ionescu
- List of academic staff
- Medical activity
- Description of academic and research activities
- Useful information for students
- Useful information regarding post-graduate courses
- 5-10 Keywords which describe the subfields of interest for the research activity
- 5 most representative ongoing research projects
- 10 most representative scientific papers
|Professor||Jecan Cristian-Radu, PhD||tenured|
|Associate Professor||Raducu Laura, PhD||tenured|
|Assistant Professor||Marina Cristina Nicoleta, PhD||fixed term|
|Assistant Professor||Avino Adelaida, PhD||fixed term|
The clinic is a part of the hospital named after the creator of the Romanian School of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Prof. Dr. Agrippa Ionescu. In 1958 he set up in Bucharest the Clinical Hospital of Traumatology and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery on Arch. Ion Mincu Street No.7, which he had managed for 40 years.
Since 2011, with the advance of ophthalmology, general surgery, recuperation, physical medicine and balneology, cardiovascular surgery, plastic surgery and reconstructive microsurgery departments, the Clinical Emergency Hospital „Prof. Dr. Agrippa Ionescu” is working under contract with the University of Medicine and Pharmacy „Carol Davila” for the conduct of medical and pharmaceutical education, post-secondary, undergraduate and postgraduate education.
Thus the hospital provides clinical training with the purpose of complete and correct professional development of students, from high school students to undergraduates, residents, PhD students, MA students and other specialists, including postgraduate professional development.
The activity of the clinic is organized to provide high quality medical services for the treatment and care of acute or chronic patients, under full or partial hospitalization. The patients benefit from surgical procedures from a wide variety of subfields of Plastic Surgery:
- Traumatology, surgery of the hand;
- Reconstructive breast surgery;
- Surgery of the post-traumatic, post-combustion or scarring sequelae;
- Ablative surgery of soft tissue tumor formations and post-excision reconstruction;
- Surgery of the extensive infections, pressure sores, chronic ulcers, lymphedema;
- Microsurgery: surgery of the peripheral nerves, breast reconstruction with microsurgical transfer, treatment of complicated open fractures, radionecrosis;
- Treatment of facial paralysis and malformations
The surgical procedures are performed in two operating rooms (one aseptic and the other septic) fully equipped with the latest surgical equipment, Aesculap instruments (including microsurgical), Zeiss portable surgical microscope, Heine and Zeiss surgical magnifying glasses, electric scalpel – monopolar and bipolar electrocoagulation, Synthes osteosynthesis kit, electrodermatomes and manual dermatomes, mesh graft expander, peripheral nerves stimulator, portable ecodoppler. We also have a high resolution video system in the OR, which allows live view of the surgical procedures.
The clinic also features a 100-seat conference hall, with a multimedia system including a video projector attached to a computer, an audio system with microphone and speakers. The conference hall currently hosts courses for the plastic surgery and ophthalmology modules, according to the distribution of UMFCD allocated to the Clinical Emergency Hospital „Prof. Dr. Agrippa Ionescu". Here there are given undergraduate and postgraduate courses for students, residents and specialists. There are 6 wards and a dressing-room for diseases that involve plastic surgery where students can attend practical classes.
In the clinic, the plastic surgery and reconstructive microsurgery residents attend their training (5-year residency), as well as residents from other surgical specialties (specialty training complementary to the basic residency, with a duration between 1-3 months).
Regarding residents, the educational activity is continuous, as they are invited to directly involve in all aspects of the clinic. Their training is conducted according to the curricular standards in Romania, but is influenced by the training programs of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the European Society (EBOPRAS). The bibliography of Plastic Surgery training in Romania is constantly changing and we generally adhere to internationally recognized treatises.
The research activity is also conducted by involving residents. This is reflected in the articles published in scientific journals and presentations at national and international scientific congresses. The papers of the residents have been awarded and noted, and in the previous academic year one of our residents has been awarded with „Resident of the Year” title by the Plastic Surgeons Association of Romania. For the development of the research activity at the Clinical Emergency Hospital „Prof. Dr. Agrippa Ionescu” (SCUPDAI) in accordance with the healthcare legislation, we obtained the proclamations of the Academy of Medical Sciences regarding the establishment of a research center with a juristic personality.
To constantly improve the quality and performance of the medical practice and health services provided to the patients, the management team of the Clinical Emergency Hospital „Prof. Dr. Agrippa Ionescu” prioritizes the implementation of scientific research results in medical practice.
Plastic Surgery internship for students in the VIth year at the „Carol Davila” University of Medicine and Pharmacy is a compulsory discipline which takes place over a 2-week module. The topics covered during lectures and practical classes include:
- Definition and history of the specialty. Wounds. Tissue healing
- Grafts and flaps – basic methods of plastic surgery
- Skin and subcutaneous tissue lesions and diseases
- Head and neck reconstruction
- Plastic surgery of the breast, torso and genital area
- Upper limb
- Lower extremity
- Thermal, chemical and radiation lesions
The courses are written in PowerPoint format, image-assisted, presenting interesting clinical cases related to the pathology discussed and encouraging discussions in these issues. During practical classes, there are shown suggestive animations and demonstrations in the specialty fields of interest (microsurgery, sutures, wound dressings and so on) by live-like projections of surgeries. We favor interactivity and feed-back.
In our clinic we provide annual training courses not only as postgraduate courses, but also as study visits. In 2015-2016 the following courses were offered:
- "Minimally invasive methods of surgical hair transplantation", 7-8.03.2016 and
- "Current treatment options in malignant skin lesions", 13 – 15.04.2016
The theme of this academic year 2016-2017 includes:
- BREAST RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY AFTER ONCOLOGICAL DISEASES. 14.11.2016 - 18.11.2016. Course lecturer: SENIOR LECTURER DR. JECAN CRISTIAN RADU
- DIABETIC FOOT, INTEGRATED MULTIDISCIPLINARY TREATMENT 15.03.2017 - 17.03.2017. Course lecturer: UNIV. AS. DR. LAURA RADUCU
- COMPRESSIVE NEUROPHATIES. 05.04.2017 - 07.04.2017. Course lecturer: SENIOR LECTURER DR. SILVIU CONSTANTIN BADOIU
- FLEXOR AND EXTENSOR TENDONS SURGERY. THEORY AND PRACTICE. 24.05.2017 - 26.05.2017. Course lecturer: SENIOR LECTURER DR. JECAN CRISTIAN RADU
- breast reconstruction
- facial reconstruction following tumor removal
- nerve regeneration
- miscrosurgical tissue transfer
- „Postdoctoral research in reconstructive transplant surgery", POSDRU/89/1.5/S/641153 project. Duration: 2010-2013. O. Stefanescu on „Experimental study on nerve regeneration in peroneal nerve allograft in rats" and S. Badoiu on „Denaturated allografts versus autografts in bridging sciatic nerve gaps in rats".
- „Burns Assessment by Multispectral imaging", S. Badoiu – Research Grant. Duration: 2014-2017;
- „Excellence in Interdisciplinary, Doctoral and Postdoctoral, Scientific Research in Economy, Medicine and Sociology", EXCELIS, POSDRU project, 159/1.5/S/138907 contract, C.R.Jecan - „Sural angiosome evaluation in patients with chronic peripheral arterial disease: delimited through anatomical study and angiography and substraction" project. Duration : 2014 – 2015.
- „Excellence in Interdisciplinary, Doctoral and Postdoctoral, Scientific Research in Economy, Medicine and Sociology", EXCELIS – POSDRU project, 159/1.5/S/138907 contract, L. Raducu - „Early detection of facial skin cancer, achieving better results and improving the prognostic" project. Duration: 2014 - 2015.
- Project Manager Jecan Cristian Radu - "PROIECT DE CERCETARE PRIVIND INFIINTAREA, MANAGEMENTUL SI FUNCTIONAREA UNUI CENTRU DE EXCELENTĂ IN CHIRURGIA TUMORILOR MALIGNE CUTANATE", Funding contract for implementation Research Grant, No. 128/01.08.2016
- MUCOCUTANEOUS MANIFESTATIONS IN CHRONIC RENAL FAILURE-DISSERTATION. Tipografia Central Publishing, Kishinev, authors C.R.Jecan, R.D.Sinescu, L.Raducu, A.Niculae
- FROM SYMPTOM TO DIAGNOSIS IN MEDICAL PRACTICE. coordinator Camelia Diaconu, ALL Publishing, Bucharest, collaborators CR.Jecan, L.Raducu
- ALTERNATIVE METHODS OF PERIPHERAL NERVE RECONSTRUCTION, Ist Edition, Nora Publishing, Bucuresti, authors Ovidiu Stefanescu, Cristian Radu Jecan, Silviu Constantin Badoiu, 2013
- A CASE OF A GENERALIZED SYMPTOMATIC CALCINOSIS IN SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS. C.R. Jecan, S. Bedereag, R.D. Sinescu, V.T. Grigorean, C.N. Cozma, A. Bordianu, I.P. Florescu, RJME, 2016
- COMPARATIVE STUDY OF THREE SERIES OF NEURO-CUTANEOUS FLAPS USED FOR COVERAGE OF LEG DEFECTS, C.R. Jecan, L. Alecu, I.E~. Costan, Chirurgia Bucuresti*, 106 (6): 781-788, PMID: 20187466 (PubMed – index for MEDLINE), ISSN: 1221-9118, ISSN (online): 1842-368x; ISI, Impact Factor 2012: 0,375
- PERIPHERAL NERVE ALLOGRAFT, A RECONSTRUCTIVE SOLUTION: OUTCOMES AND BENEFITS. O. Stefanescu, C.R. Jecan, S.C. Badoiu, D.M. Enescu, I. Lascar, Chirurgia* (Bucharest), 2012, 107(4): 438-441, PMID: 20187466 (PubMed – index for MEDLINE), ISSN: 1221-9118, ISSN (online): 1842-368x; ISI, Impact Factor 2012 : 0,777
- HISTOLOGICAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN LASER-ASSISTED AND SUCTIONASSISTED LIPOPLASTY ASPIRATES – A COMPARATIVE STUDY, C.R. Jecan, A. D. Hernic, E.C. Tianu, I.P. Florescu, I. Lascar, Rom J Morphol Embryol***, 2015, 56(2 Suppl):797–801, PMID: 26429175 (PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE), ISSN (print) 1220–0522 ISSN (on-line) 2066–8279; ISI, 5-Year Impact Factor: 0.771. Article Influence Score: 0.148.
- A CASE OF EXTRAPLEURAL SOLITARY FIBROUS TUMOR OF THE THIGH WITH EIGHT YEARS FOLLOW-UP, C.S. Hariga, S. C. Achim, A.C. Savu, V. Enache, C.R. Jecan, Rom J Morphol Embryol***, 2016, 57(1):303–306, PMID: 26429175 (PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE), ISSN (print) 1220–0522 ISSN (on-line) 2066–8279; ISI, 5-Year Impact Factor: 0.771. Article Influence Score: 0.148.
- THE DISTALLY BASED SUPERFICIAL SURAL ARTERY ANGIOSOME FLAP CONCEPT: ANATOMY, INDICATIONS, SURGICAL TECHNIQUE, RESULTS, COMPLICATIONS AND TECHNICAL ASPECTS TO MINIMIZE COMPLICATIONS, C.R. Jecan, V. Goleanu, L. Raducu, L. Tomescu, D. Hernic, I. Lascar, Modern Medicine**** (Medicina Moderna), 2015, 22 (3): 213-223, ISSN 2360-2473, ISSN-L 1223-0472;
- CONTROVERSIES IN THE DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF EARLY CUTANEOUS MELANOMA, O.A. Orzan , A. Sandru, C.R. Jecan, Journal of Medicine and Life*****, Vol. 8, Issue 2, April-June 2015, pp.132-141, ISSN 1844-122x Online ISSN 1844-3117, Online ISSN 1844-3109;