A brief history of the Faculty of Pharmacy
- 1853- Carol Davila sets the bases of medical and pharmaceutical studies in Romania. Having been an army medic since 1854, he starts reorganizing the army Hospital located in the old Mihai Voda church in Bucharest; he also establishes a military pharmacy.
- 1858- on August 16th, the establishment of the “National School of Medicine and Pharmacy” was approved through Law nr. 1092. The purpose of this school, per the legislation, was to train healthcare officers, pharmacists and veterinarians for the health sector of the army, hospitals and districts. The school issued diplomas and titles of healthcare officers, masters in pharmacy and veterinarians.
- 1860- Davila insists on the idea of the Bucharest school being available for both Romanian countries, mentioning that he will transform the pharmacy class in an independent school and that he will also establish a veterinary school.
- 1860- the first independent syllabus for the pharmacy school was for the first semester of 1860-1861 and includes phytology, pharmacognostics , zoology, pharmacology, medical subjects, chemistry, latin, French.
- 1862- the national school of medicine, pharmacy and veterinary studies becomes the National School of medicine with separate classes for medicine, pharmacy and veterinary medicine.
- 1869- due to the common efforts of Nicolae Kretzulescu and Carol Davila, once the Faculty of medicine was built, pharmaceutical studies became the Superior School of Pharmacy.
- 1883- the official monitor nr. 150/11 oct. 1883, states that the superior school of Pharmacy in Bucharest can issue the titles of pharmacist rank I and pharmacy assistant rank II (licensed in pharmacy).
- 1898- due to the contribution of Stefan Minovici, pharmaceutical studies become universitary. Graduates will now obtain the academic title of pharmacist. The Pharmacy Doctorate was also established in the same period.
- 1901- a new building on the Independentei bvd. Is being opened, and a part of the pharmacy laboratories took place there. It was finished in 1903.
- 1911- through some mentions in the superior studies law, the pharmacy section will issue diplomas of license and doctorate.
- 1914- The Faculty of Medicine Council asked for the pharmaceutical studies to be separated from the medical studies. Because of the war, the instatement of the Faculty of Pharmacy was postponed until after the Great Union.
- 1923- pharmaceutical studies are separated from the medical studies (official monitor nr. 54 from june 12th, 1923) and the Faculty of Pharmacy is established, with nine conferences and four fundamental disciplines: Galenic and chemical pharmacy (M. Georgescu), Analytical Chemistry (St. Minovici), Pharmaceutical phytology (T. Solacolu), Analysis of food and beverages (I. Vintilescu).
- 1924- pharmaceutical studies are done over 3 years of study inside the faculty and 2 years of pharmacy internship. After a while it was changed to 4 years of study and 1 year of pharmacy internship.
- 1934- there are now six disciplines (Biological chemistry, General Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Galenic and pharmaceutical chemistry, Pharmacology – Pharmacodynamy).
- 1941-1942- pharmaceutical studies are done over the course of 6 years organized thusly: first two years within the faculty, third year would be a pharmacy internship, 4th and 5th years within the faculty, 6th year a pharmacy internship.
- 1942- there are 9 disciplines, due to the addition of of Galenic pharmacy, Toxicology and Drug industry. There are also 3 new conferences: Physical chemistry, Mathematics, Vegetal drugs.
- 1944- after the bombings in 1944, the central wing of the university is destroyed, therefore most of the labs belonging to the Faculty of Pharmacy would have to be moved in other places.
- 1948-1949- The Medical and Pharmaceutical Institute in Bucharest will also include the Faculty of Pharmacy with 2 distinct sections: “Recipe section” (3 years of study and 1 year of internship) and “Pharmaceutical studies section” (4 years of study and 1 year of internship).
- 1952- there is a new studies plan, representing a synthesis of university pharmaceutical studies.
- 1976- the faculty moves from nr.1, Dimitrie Gerota str. (which used to be Sahia) to nr.6, Traian Vuia str. There are now 18 disciplines.
- 1986- for a short period of time, the Faculty of Pharmacy loses its identity as a consequence of its merge with the Faculty of Dentistry, forming the Faculty of Pharmacology and Dentistry.
- 1989- The faculty of Pharmacy regains its identity, coming back to its status of independent faculty within U.M.F Carol Davila.
- 1990- there is a fundamental reform of the pharmaceutical schooling, through the elimination of political studies, agricultural and military practice.
- 1993- the Faculty of Pharmacy in Bucharest is the first to organize the residency exam through which an important number of graduates from the faculties of pharmacy are trained in the domains of: general pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, pharmaceutical laboratory, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry.
- Present day- along with the continued preparation through Doctorate and Post-university studies, it has been intended to improve the study plans by introducing new disciplines, such as: Informatics, propedeutics, pharmaceutics, biopharmacy, clinical pharmacy, pathology and medical emergencies, mathematics and biostatistics, analytical chemistry and physico-chemical methods of analysis, pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, phytotherapy, Pharmaceutical management and marketing, drug industry and pharmaceutical biotechnologies.
Leadership of the Faculty of Pharmacy in Bucharest has been held over time by the following deans:
- 1923 – 1925 – Prof. Minovici Ştefan
- 1925 – 1927 – Prof. Georgescu Mihail
- 1927 – 1931 – Prof. Deleanu T. Nicolae
- 1931 – 1936 – Prof. Vintilescu Ion
- 1936 – 1938 – Prof. Solacolu Theodor
- 1938 – 1941 – Prof. Pamfil P. Gheorghe
- 1941 – 1944 – Prof. Vintilescu Ion
- 1944 – 1946 – Prof. Bordeianu Constantin
- 1946 – 1956 – Prof. Popescu Gh. Ioan
- 1956 – 1961 – Prof. Ioanid Nicolae
- 1961 – 1968 – Prof. Ciogolea Gheorghe
- 1968 – Prof. Ştefănescu Dumitru (1 mai – 10 octombrie )
- 1968 – 1972 – Prof. Grigore Constantinescu
- 1972 -1981 şi 1990 (15 feb.- 30 sept.) Prof. Dobrescu Dumitru
- 1981 – 1990 – Prof. Matilda Rosetti-Colţoiu
- 1990 – 1996 – Prof. Moisescu Ştefan-Aurel
- 1996 – 2004 – Prof. Lupuleasa Dumitru
- 2004 – 2008 – Prof. Mircioiu Conatantin
- 2008 – 2016 – Prof. Lupuleasa Dumitru
- 2016 - prezent - Prof. Draganescu Doina
Professor, MD, PhD
VICE-DEAN OF UNIVERSITY UNDERGRADUATE AND MASTER'S EDUCATION STUDIES
Management plan for Dean position
|DEPARTMENT||HEAD OF DEPARTMENT|
|Departament - Pharmacy I - Fundamental Sciences||Professor Dinu Mihaela, PhD|
|Departament - Pharmacy II - Profile Sciences (specialized)||Professor Gird Cerasela Elena, PhD|